Wandera is the first mobile data gateway – set up by Eldar & Roy Tuvey, who had previously set up and run Scansafe before selling it to Cisco.
Wandera sits between employees work phones and the mobile internet, allowing business to manage how their staff are using mobile data. In 2014, Wandera launched Wandera Secure, allowing business to not only extend their data plans, but also ensure a safe mobile environment for staff, and the business.
Our approach combined building a strong launch story consisting of consumer research on mobile security and Wandera’s findings around vulnerable apps with a programme of strategic media relations, followed by a series of ongoing activity.
Tactics / activity
- Story development – we undertook consumer research with YouGov to ascertain the public’s perception towards mobile security, finding for example that only 6% British workers have been given guidance on mobile app security. This was combined with Wandera’s own findings that 1 in 5 devices in its network were running apps vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks.
- Security briefings – ahead of launch we set up a series of briefings with key press such as The Times, The Wall Street Journal Europe, Mobile News and IT Security Guru to pre-brief core media on the new launch and story. We also hooked the story into news at the time which focused on the recent iCloud hack.
- Security launch – on the day of launch we secured multiple pieces of coverage, including half a page in The Times with the headline “Wandera promises to mount mobile security defence” and coverage in Computer Weekly “UK guidance on mobile app security low, research shows”.
- Rapid response – we monitored the news and responded to any relevant hooks with Wandera news and comment. This resulted in coverage including a feature on BBC Onlineregarding Android malware, and coverage with key trade publication SC Magazine on WireLurker malware.
- Momentum – following launch we continued a series of ongoing activity such as by-line placement, briefings and news releases.
The campaign has been proven to directly achieve our objectives and ultimately support sales and new leads for Wandera:
- 40% rise in website traffic since start of PR campaign
- Sales figures significantly increased, and this is directly attributable to PR activity
- 80% of coverage includes either a direct link to Wandera’s website or a strong brand mention to prompt organic search
- Strong awareness of Wandera: 100% on target of media engagement with tier A and tier B contacts to target a relevant, defined audience of those responsible for mobile security, C-level execs and business owners
- 97% of coverage was with pre-defined top tier press